INTRODUCTION: Before we start this afternoon’s study I am curious to take a poll on present belief then see if the information studied made any difference to you.
To save time, I am going to show that being “saved” is the same as having one’s name in the “Book of Life”. It is not a study on when or how one is saved, we have studied that before. This is confined to when is one’s name written in the Book of Life. Though scripture does say one is saved after enduring to the end Matt 24:13; Mark 13:13. When one is saved, what are they saved from? Not mortal death as all suffer that Heb 9:27 And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:. We are saved from the eternal spiritual death, called the second death. [Rev 2:11 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; He that overcometh shall not be hurt of the second death. Rev 20:6 Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years. Rev 20:14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. Rev 21:8 But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death. Rev 20:15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire].
Joh 10:9 I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture. [To be saved is to enter in somewhere].
Luk 13:23 Then said one unto him, Lord, are there few that be saved? And he said unto them,
Luk 13:24 Strive to enter in at the strait gate: for many, I say unto you, will seek to enter in, and shall not be able.
1) Who thinks their name is already written in the book of life? [ About 80% of those attended raised hand.]
2) When or what event caused it to be written? [Two said at birth, two no answer, the majority said at baptism and acceptance of Christ. One said as the majority; but added the keeping of the commandments also. I suppose this was on the basis one can accept a gift yet not like the giver nor do anything in return for them i.e. want the blessings and promises without the obedience and deeds.]
Ok, I assume we all want our name to be written in that book at least on judgement day. So let us study how to get our name in that book at the relevant time, judgement day.
- We read in Php 4:3 And I intreat thee also, true yokefellow, help those women which laboured with me in the gospel, with Clement also, and with other my fellow labourers, whose names are in the book of life.
Luk 10:20 Notwithstanding in this rejoice not, that the spirits are subject unto you; but rather rejoice, because your names are written in heaven.
- Q. Does that tell us WHEN their names were written in? No, only that it was already in there for those spoken about.
- Rev 3:5 He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.
- Q. What does this say is required of us and the consequences of not achieving it?
ANS: Overcome or be blotted out. Overcome what? Does not say; but from scripture we know it is sin.
- Rev 13:8 And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.
Q. What happened at the foundation of the world?
ANS: Lamb was slain or the book was written? If it was the lamb slain, then he was slain twice, 4,000 yrs later at Calvary and the first time was insufficient! This would be contrary to Rom 6:10; Heb 7:27, 9:28, 10:10, 1Pet 3:18. So can we assume or conclude names were written at “foundation of world”?
- Rev 17:8 The beast that thou sawest was, and is not; and shall ascend out of the bottomless pit, and go into perdition: and they that dwell on the earth shall wonder, whose names were not written in the book of life from the foundation of the world, when they behold the beast that was, and is not, and yet is.
- Q. Does this add any light to 13:8?
ANS: what is common to both verse? The people whose names were not written and the foundation of the earth. So does this confirm names are written at foundation?
- Rev 20:12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.
- Q. How many books ( or types) are there, what do they contain and what is their purpose? What “works”?
ANS: two sets or types, one being the book of life. The first set, “books”, was to judge the dead according to their “works”. The other, book of life, presumably recorded names of those deemed worthy. “works” all or only negative works?
- Rev 20:15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.
- Q. Based on judged by works, what does this tell us about the type of works done or not done?
ANS: Fair to assume bad works and or unconfessed and unrepented disobedience as God does not punish for good works. See Luke 13:3,5; Pro 29:18; Rom 2:12. Pro 29:18 Where there is no vision, the people perish: but he that keepeth the law, happy is he. Rom 2:12 For as many as have sinned without law shall also perish without law: and as many as have sinned in the law shall be judged by the law;
- Rev 21:27 And there shall in no wise enter into it anything that defileth, neither whatsoever worketh abomination, or maketh a lie: but they which are written in the Lamb's book of life.
- Q. Does this add anything, confirm or refute what already learned?
Ans: The law states what defiles, works abomination etc. Maybe this and similar scriptures can assist. 1Ti 1:9 Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers, 1Ti 1:10 For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine;
So far we have seen what happens to those not in the book of life and why. Let us continue to ascertain when we are written in and when taken out.
- Exo 32:32 Yet now, if thou wilt forgive their sin--; and if not, blot me, I pray thee, out of thy book which thou hast written. Exo 32:33 And the LORD said unto Moses, Whosoever hath sinned against me, him will I blot out of my book.
- Q. Who wrote the book? What did Moses expect to happen and why? What was his alternative request or plea? Why were names to be “blotted out”?
ANS: God wrote book. Moses expected God to blot people out of his book for their sins. Moses asked that his name instead of the people’s is blotted out.person who sins name is blotted out of book (of life).
- Q. What does God call sin and where do we find them written? ANS: A few sample scriptures from a long list. Lev 5:17 And if a soul sin, and commit any of these things which are forbidden to be done by the commandments of the LORD; though he wist it not, yet is he guilty, and shall bear his iniquity. Deu 15:9 Beware that there be not a thought in thy wicked heart, saying, The seventh year, the year of release, is at hand; and thine eye be evil against thy poor brother, and thou givest him nought; and he cry unto the LORD against thee, and it be sin unto thee. (also Deu 24:15).
1Jn 3:4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.
- Q. Has the definition of sin changed? Would it be fair for God to change it or amend the list so that what one person did was previously a sin and then for others was not?
ANS: No definition has not changed as seen in 1Jn 3:4. No would not be fair and Yahweh is a Just and fair God. Mal 3:6 For I am the LORD, I change not; Heb 13:8 Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and today, and for ever. (See John 1:1-3 i.e. Joh 1:3 All things were made by him; and without him was not anything made that was made. and 1John 1:1 Messiah and His ways was from the beginning).
- Psa 69:28 Let them be blotted out of the book of the living, and not be written with the righteous.
- Q. Who did David want to be blotted out of the book? Who does he say is written in the book?
Q. He does not say; but what do we know about the righteous? ANS: He wanted his enemies, evil doers to be blotted out. Righteous are written in the book. Righteous do things and live right in the eyes of god according to His laws. They do not live contrary to it as does the lawless for whom the law was written to show their error / sin. 1Ti 1:9 Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers,
- BLOT OUT.
The English words “blot out” and “destroy” come from the same Hebrew word “maw-khaw” H4229. For example in Gen 7:4 For yet seven days, and I will cause it to rain upon the earth forty days and forty nights; and every living substance that I have made will I destroy from off the face of the earth. We know God did this because Gen 6:5 And GOD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. In other words, they sinned.
Gen 7:4 has similarities to Deu 9:14 Let me alone, that I may destroy them, and blot out their name from under heaven: and I will make of thee a nation mightier and greater than they.
- Q. What are the similarities? Why did God want to blot them out / destroy them and start again with Moses as He did with Noah? How long was Moses up on the mount and how long did it rain when Noah was in the Ark?
ANS: In both, the people all sinned. Deu 9:12 And the LORD said unto me, Arise, get thee down quickly from hence; for thy people which thou hast brought forth out of Egypt have corrupted themselves; they are quickly turned aside out of the way which I commanded them; they have made them a molten image. (See also 29:20-21). It rained 40 days and nights. Moses up for 40 days and nights Deu 9:9.
Q. If people were to be blotted out (destroyed), what does this tell us about when names are in the book? And why taken out? What was “the way” they were “commanded to keep” and where do we find it?
ANS: Fir something to be taken / blotted out it must already be written in. Names were in and their sin caused it to be taken / blotted out. They were commanded to keep the way given to them at Mount Sanai, found at least between Exodus 20 – 24:7. Exo 32:8 They have turned aside quickly out of the way which I commanded them: they have made them a molten calf, and have worshipped it, and have sacrificed thereunto, and said, These be thy gods, O Israel, which have brought thee up out of the land of Egypt.
10A. Deu 25:19 Therefore it shall be, when the LORD thy God hath given thee rest from all thine enemies round about, in the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee for an inheritance to possess it, that thou shalt blot out the remembrance of Amalek from under heaven; thou shalt not forget it. Gives idea of blot out meaning.
- Q. The children in the wilderness entered the Promised Land with Caleb, Joshua (and others. Deciphered by later verse regarding priests’ names). Bearing in mind Rev 20:15, is a new born baby or child who dies denied getting into the new heaven and earth i.e. are not written in the book?
ANS: Presumably not. Their names are NOT blotted out.
- Q. Remembering the phrase “from the foundation of the earth” in Rev 13:8 and 17:8, does this add to or change your view of when names are written in the book? If your children’s names are in the book yet were not baptised and many baptised adults backslide (i.e. sin) and are blotted out of the book, what does it say about the belief one is saved at baptism?
ANS: Rev 20:15; name in book at birth, taken out when die if not repented. When book of life opened on Judgement day, sinners names not found written in. A sin remains a sin if not confessed and repented. Note Mat 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. Mat 7:22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? Luk 6:46 And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say? “wonderful / good works on their own did not save them!!
When is one saved (not blotted out). When born name written in book like a birth certificate and when die, if die in sin without repentance, is taken out like a 2nd death certificate (no marking on forehead). Kids are innocent. i.e. when in wilderness they not killed as under parents rule just like wife who makes vow under husband’s disallow or accept. And maid / virgin under father’s rule? (i.e. Numbers 30:5).
- Dan 12:1 And at that time shall Michael stand up, the great prince which standeth for the children of thy people: and there shall be a time of trouble, such as never was since there was a nation even to that same time: and at that time thy people shall be delivered, every one that shall be found written in the book. Dan 12:2 And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt. Dan 12:3 And they that be wise shall shine as the brightness of the firmament; and they that turn many to righteousness as the stars for ever and ever.
- Q. Who was Daniel’s people and who are their children? ANS: Descendants of Israel (today called Jews)
- Q. Who shall be delivered and where are their names recorded? ANS: “Thy people shall be delivered”. Names in book of life. Therefore, believers should be or be grafted into the “thy people” doing what they were asked to do.
- Q. What will happen to those asleep in the earth? ANS: All rise, some to everlasting life, others to everlasting contempt.
- Q. What happens to those who turn others to righteousness? ANS: Shine as stars forever.
ANS: Jas 5:19 Brethren, if any of you do err from the truth, and one convert him; Jas 5:20 Let him know, that he which converteth the sinner from the error of his way shall save a soul from death, and shall hide a multitude of sins.
CLEANSING AND THE BOOKS.
Remember above, I think number 5, there were books and “another” book of life. The book of life had the names of those who will cross over into the new heaven and earth.
- Q. What is written in the bookS? ANS: Rev 20:12 the books were opened: and another book was opened, … and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.
Psa 51:1 A Psalm of David, when Nathan the prophet came unto him, after he had gone in to Bathsheba. Have mercy upon me, O God, according to thy lovingkindness: according unto the multitude of thy tender mercies blot out my transgressions. Psa 51:2 Wash me throughly from mine iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin.
- Q. From where was David asking God to blot out the record of his transgressions? ANS: From where they were written; presumably the books.
As time is running out, I will group some scriptures together.
Isa 43:25 I, even I, am he that blotteth out thy transgressions for mine own sake, and will not remember thy sins.
Isa 44:1 Yet now hear, O Jacob my servant; and Israel, whom I have chosen: Isa 44:2 Thus saith the LORD that made thee, and formed thee from the womb… Isa 44:22 I have blotted out, as a thick cloud, thy transgressions, and, as a cloud, thy sins: return unto me; for I have redeemed thee.
Jer 18:23 Yet, LORD, thou knowest all their counsel against me to slay me: forgive not their iniquity, neither blot out their sin from thy sight, but let them be overthrown before thee; deal thus with them in the time of thine anger.
- Q. Do they tell us anything more and if so what?
ANS: God blots out sins and remembers them not like the memory of Amalek 10A above. Sins return to God when he redeems.
How is cleansing given or sins blotted out.
Read first and last verse of Lev 4. Lev 4:20 bullock for a sin offering, so shall he do with this: and the priest shall make an atonement for them, and it shall be forgiven them. See also v26, 31, 35; 5:10, 13, 16, 18; 6:7; 19:22; Num 14:19, 15:25, 26, 30:5,8; 1kings 8.
Lev 16:5 And he shall take of the congregation of the children of Israel two kids of the goats for a sin offering, and one ram for a burnt offering. Lev 16:6 And Aaron shall offer his bullock of the sin offering, which is for himself, and make an atonement for himself, and for his house…. Lev 16:21 And Aaron shall lay both his hands upon the head of the live goat, and confess over him all the iniquities of the children of Israel, and all their transgressions in all their sins, putting them upon the head of the goat, and shall send him away by the hand of a fit man into the wilderness:
Lev 16:30 For on that day shall the priest make an atonement for you, to cleanse you, that ye may be clean from all your sins before the LORD. Lev 16:31 It shall be a sabbath of rest unto you, and ye shall afflict your souls, by a statute for ever.
Read Lev 26:40-46 which starts with Lev 26:40 If they shall confess their iniquity, and the iniquity of their fathers, with their trespass which they trespassed against me, and that also they have walked contrary unto me; May also want to read Daniel’s prayer in chapter 9.
2Ch 7:14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
Jer 31:33 But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.
Jer 31:34 And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.
Jer 36:3 It may be that the house of Judah will hear all the evil which I purpose to do unto them; that they may return every man from his evil way; that I may forgive their iniquity and their sin.
- Q. How was sin blotted in Old which I prefer to call first Testament? Through and by whom? What were requirements? ANS: Blotted out by an animal sin offering, through priests and forgiven by Yahweh God. Confess, turn from wicked ways and sin and back to God’s ways which He commanded.
Mat 9:6 But that ye may know that the Son of man hath power on earth to forgive sins,
Mar 4:12 That seeing they may see, and not perceive; and hearing they may hear, and not understand; lest at any time they should be converted, and their sins should be forgiven them.
Act 5:31 Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.
Act 13:38 Be it known unto you therefore, men and brethren, that through this man is preached unto you the forgiveness of sins: Act 26:18 To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me.
Eph 1:7 In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace;
1Jn 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
- Q. How was sin blotted in New which I prefer to call second Testament? Through and by whom? What were requirements? Is there any similarities or difference to that of first Testament, if so what?
ANS: repentance and confession, turning from sin or being converted still required. Through priest and by God. (Messiah being High priest and God). Blood sacrifice and faith it is forgiven / done. See Hebrews 9 - 11.
Rev 22:16 I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches.
Rev 22:18 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:
Rev 22:19 And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.
AND WHAT THINGS ARE WRITTEN IN THIS BOOK OF PROPHECY, ONLY A FEW VERSES BEFORE?
Rev 22:14 Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.
SO ANYONE TELLING YOU DIFFERENT IS ADDING TO OR TAKING AWAY FROM THE PROPHECY. Do not adhere to them or you may suffer the same fate prescribed for them. We should conclude if sin remains on our record we will / may not be permitted entry to the new city. SO Live each day as if it is your last. Do not let the sun go down with you in an unrepented sinful condition. Remember, repent is to stop and turn to the right way commanded by God not feel or say sorry yet continue to practice sin which includes religious manmade traditions ad times.
- Back to the opening questions, who has changed their minds as to when their names are written in the book of life which is biblically being saved? (Rather than John Calvin, author of today's popular teaching).
Additional relevant verses.
Lev 20:3 And I will set my face against that man, and will cut him off from among his people; because he hath given of his seed unto Molech, to defile my sanctuary, and to profane my holy name.
Lev 20:5 Then I will set my face against that man, and against his family, and will cut him off, and all that go a whoring after him, to commit whoredom with Molech, from among their people.
Lev 17:4 And bringeth it not unto the door of the tabernacle of the congregation, to offer an offering unto the LORD before the tabernacle of the LORD; blood shall be imputed unto that man; he hath shed blood; and that man shall be cut off from among his people:
Exo 32:32 Yet now, if thou wilt forgive their sin--; and if not, blotH4229 me, I pray thee, out of thy book which thou hast written.
Exo 32:33 And the LORD said unto Moses, Whosoever hath sinned against me, him will I blot out of my book.
Num 5:23 And the priest shall write these curses in a book, and he shall blot them out with the bitter water:
Deu 29:20 The LORD will not spare him, but then the anger of the LORD and his jealousy shall smoke against that man, and all the curses that are written in this book shall lie upon him, and the LORD shall blot out his name from under heaven.[An accompanying sermon is "SabbathS to be Saved"